zaterdag 5 februari 2011

Nofx - Ribbed LP (yellow) for 12 bucks!

I would like to start this blog off with a big thank you for showing interest in this blog! You can expect a lot of news about vinyl releases, funny stories and interviews with vinyl collectors going trough their collection: “What is their favorite record?”, “What is their most prized record?”, “What is the first record they ever bought?” etc.

I personally think vinyl is the best format for listening to music. It’s more than just clicking the play button and listen to it. The fact that you have to go trough your collection searching for a record, getting the record out of it sleeve, on the record player and putting the needle on the record (“I put the needle on the record and play that song again!”, Bouncing Souls classic! ) makes listening to a record an experience that you can’t compare to your Ipod shuffle.



Vinyl collecting also is more fun, because there can be put a little extra to it. In the world of vinyl you can get a lot of different variants like: different colors, special silk-screened covers, hand numbered sleeves, heart shaped vinyl etc . One more limited than the other, which adds value to it! You can’t describe the feeling of having something that only a few in the world have the privilege of owning. You won’t find these extra’s when listening to mp3’s. The only thing extra you could get with your mp3’s is a virus.

One thing that I personally love from collecting records is that there is a story to almost every record! One of my favorite stories that I would like to share is how I managed to get an original copy of the classic album “Ribbed” from “Nofx” on yellow wax from 1991 (limited to 500):

A few years back when I just started getting interested in buying Nofx records I had a hard time getting a copy of “Ribbed” which is one of my favorite Nofx records. Back then this record was hard to come by even on black vinyl. I would have been so happy if I could get a black copy for a reasonable price. These were going for about $50,- on ebay and I was not willing to pay that much.
Back then I also was on the look-out for No Motiv / Choice – Split 7” and I found an old topic created on the No Motiv message board by someone that offered one for sale. So I contacted the person with an offer, which he excepted and I was really stoked to finally get this! Then he emailed me again asking if I was interested in buying a Nofx – Ribbed LP, so I was even more stoked. I offered him $12 for it and that was ok for him. He even thought that it was too much!
Meanwhile I was already joking to my friends that it might as well just be a yellow copy, but there was no way it could be! So after one week of waiting the package finally arrived. When I opened it and checked out the Ribbed record I was shocked/stoked and freaking out at the same time: IT WAS YELLOW!



The seller obviously had no clue what he sold. I emailed him a big thank you and played that record as loud as possible! This record still is one of my showpieces from my collection and probably will never leave the collection!



BTW: do you want to own a Nofx – Ribbed LP? “Epitaph records” recently repressed some classic albums on vinyl from bands like: Nofx, Bad religion, Bouncing Souls, Descendents, Dropkick Murphy’s, Offspring and more! Go check out the Epitaph records store.

-Paul

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten