maandag 7 februari 2011

Punk/Rock nowadays?

Satanic Surfers – Hero of Our Time is considered as one of the best “skatepunk” album ever made among a lot of fans of the genre. And I am one of them! This album not only got me into punk/rock, but also takes me back to when I was in high school and I wanted nothing else to do besides skateboarding.
This album about “armless skaters”, “cowboy boots” and “standing up for yourself” might not include the best lyrics ever written. But the songs have great melodies, it’s easy to sing a long with, every song is good and get stuck in your head very easily!



I think that a lot of punk/rock records coming out nowadays don’t impress me as much as Hero of Our Time did and I sometimes wonder why that. Is it me or the music? Maybe I’m stuck in the 1900-2000 period where Lagwagon still plays fast songs, you can wear baggy trousers and every Epitaph records release was quality punk/rock. But I’m stubborn and I think that it’s not me stuck in time, but it’s the music nowadays that just isn’t as great as it used to be. There’re still a lot of quality releases, but there are not many releases that I could play every second of the day without wanting to skip a song.

Anyway, I have the Satanic Surfers – Hero of Our Time LP in my collection on 2 colors. One color is pink and the other I call “peach”. I don’t call it orange, because I believe there is another color that is more orange than the one I have. One day I’ll have it and I’ll take a picture of it to prove it!


This record is put out by the Belgian record label “Genet records” and I think it is limited to 1000, but I’m not 100% sure.

After many great releases Satanic Surfers unfortunately decided to 2007. But Rodrigo is back on the vocals in the band called Atlas Losing Grip! I was so stoked when I got the opportunity to press their EP Watching The Horizon on vinyl with Can’t Slow Down records! This release is limited to 250 on clear blue 10” vinyl and still is available in our webstore: http://cantslowdownrecords.bigcartel.com/


The songs can be streamed at their facebook page:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Atlas-Losing-Grip/10465958627?v=info

They’re also going on tour soon and have a new album coming up, so go check them out if they're playing near you. They'll rock your faces off! Check out a preview of the upcoming album here:



To end this message I would like to share some vinyl news that I’m pretty stoked about. One band that still rocks hard these days. Maybe not that often on stage anymore, but their music is still one of the best in punk/rock: Pulley will release a new 7”!!! Can’t wait to hear some new songs and expand my Pulley collection! There's not an official release date yet...


-paul

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten